WEBSITES AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
Burleith is bordered by 35th Street to the East, Reservoir Road and the historic Georgetown district to the south, Whitehaven Park to the North and Glover Archbold Park to the West. The neighborhood is home to the Duke Ellington School of the Arts and the Washington International School (primary campus). It is also adjacent to the French embassy and Georgetown University. It is often referred to as “the Village in the City.”
The history of Burleith can be traced back to 1886 when the Huidekoper family came into ownership of the Burleith tract of land. During their tenure as residents, they built a few buildings, but kept most of the land as woods and fields. In 1922 the Huidekeopers sold the land to Shannon and Luchs, Inc. Instead of keeping the land in its natural state like the previous owners, Shannon and Luchs decided to hire an architect to develop the area. The architect designed homes with moderate prices between $8,950-$13,500 that were targeted for middle class residents with higher than average taste.
To the west of Burleith is a 24-hour gated community called Hillandale; some consider this a separate neighborhood but it is technically part of Burleith.
Information provided from Wikipedia.