WEBSITES AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
Originally called “Iowa Circle”, Logan was renamed by Congress in 1930 in honor of John A. Logan, a Civil War general and U.S. senator. At the center of the circle is a monument to Major General Logan. The circle is surrounded by many old homes, one of which belonged to the son of Ulysses S. Grant.
The commercial corridor along 14th Street NW is undergoing significant revitalization, and is known for its art galleries, live theater, and nightlife spots such as Halo. A watershed event in the development of the neighborhood was the opening of a busy Whole Foods Market two blocks from Logan Circle in 1999, on a site previously occupied by an abandoned parking garage.
The former home of Mary McLeod Bethune is located in Logan Circle.