WEBSITES AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
The northern line of the neighborhood is defined by Eastern Avenue NW, which divides Shepherd Park from Silver Spring, Maryland. The neighborhood is further bounded at the south by Walter Reed Hospital, at the east by Georgia Avenue NW, and the west by 16th Street NW.
Most east-west streets are named after flowers, shrubs, and trees. Iris Street, Primrose Road, and Geranium Street are but a few flower-inspired street names.
Georgia Avenue is the only commercial corridor near the neighborhood. However more development is looming with the planned redevelopment of the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Local architecture includes Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, and Spanish Colonial Revival houses; bungalows and other early-20th-century vernacular styles; and midcentury ramblers. There is a significant concentration of mail-order kit houses by the Lewis Manufacturing Company and by Sears in the southeast corner of the neighborhood.
The neighborhood takes its name from its most famous resident: Alexander Robey Shepherd, the governor of the then-Territory of DC from 1873 to 1874. The neighborhood was originally called Sixteenth Street Heights until it was renamed Shepherd Park in 1943.
Information provided from Wikipedia and other sources.