WEBSITES AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
Much of 16th Street Heights was once part of Maple Grove Farm, an eighty-acre nursery acquired in May 1854 by John Saul, who led improvements of the Mall, Capitol, and White House grounds. By 1892, Saul’s son, B. Francis Saul, founded the B.F. Saul Company to sell the land in individual lots and take notes as mortgages to speed the sale.
Streetcar lines on 14th Street and Georgia Avenue accelerated the growth of the area. Two historic streetcar facilities are currently used for Metrobus: the Capital Traction Company car barn at 4615 14th Street, NW, is now the Northern Division garage, and the 14th and Colorado turnaround.
Sixteenth Street Heights is adjacent to Rock Creek Park, a 1,754-acre national park that bisects the District of Columbia. Park facilities near 16th Street Heights include the Carter Barron Amphitheater and the William H.G. Fitzgerald Tennis Center, which is the home of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic.
The Hamilton Recreation Center at 1340 Hamilton Street features a 60-foot by 40-foot athletic field, a basketball court, a playground, and a small multi-purpose room. The Upshur Recreation Center at 4300 Arkansas Avenue features a baseball/softball field, two basketball courts, a computer lab, a kitchen, a medium-sized multi-purpose room, a playground, and a swimming pool. Finally, the Twin Oaks Community Garden is at 1425 Taylor Street. Forty plots are available to reserve, and the garden hosts a Junior Master Gardener Program.
Information provided from Wikipedia.